I’ve been going hard on the weights lately, which means amping up protein is essential. One food I turn to for high protein is quinoa. I offered a recipe on how to make a toasted citrus quinoa salad a few months ago, but this recipe of quinoa and black beans is my favorite way to prepare the superfood.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 can vegetable broth (14.5oz)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 ears of corn
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
2. While waiting for oil to heat and onions and garlic to brown, start boiling the ears of corn. Set ears aside after cooking to cool. After corn cools, cut the kernels from the ears with a large butcher knife.
3. Mix quinoa into onion mixture and cover with vegetable broth; season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir corn, beans, and cilantro into the saucepan, and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
5. Serve warm; avocado optional as garnish.